Want to be the perfect housemate?
There are a few (very easy) things you can do.
Badi, an app that helps people find flatmates, did a survey of renters to find out what traits are the most desirable among people they’re living with.
Unsurprisingly, renters want a housemate who’ll pay their rent and bills on time, who are respectful of people’s space, and are clean and tidy.
No real shockers there, but considering how many of us have experienced nightmare housemates in our years of renting, perhaps we’re all in need of a little reminder.
It’s important to understand your housemates, though – while one in five renters said they’d love a housemate who makes the house feel more like home and 27% said they’d like to be friends with their housemate, others may prefer to keep to themselves.
Just look at the list of dream housemate traits below – at number 10 is ‘is always there for you if you need to talk’, while at number 18 there’s ‘is rarely there’. Confusing, no?
Our advice: Get to know your housemate before committing to moving in. You’ll want someone with a similar communication style and expectations.
Moving in with someone who wants you to be besties while you’re just searching for a crash pad will get deeply annoying over time.
20 most desired traits in a housemate:
- Pays bills without fuss or delay
- Does their share of chores
- Always does their washing up
- Takes the bins out without being asked
- Doesn’t hog the bathroom
- Doesn’t leave unwashed plates out on the side
- Gets along with your friends
- Keeps to their food cupboard
- Lets you know before having a house party
- Is always there for you if you need to talk
- Keeps to their shelf in the fridge/freezer
- Will make you a cuppa if they get to the kettle first in the morning
- Good music taste
- Brings little touches to make the place feel more like home
- They are generous
- Shares the remote
- Cooks dinner when you come home late from work
- Is rarely there
- Likes the same films as you
- Stays out the way when you bring people round